Whether you’re celebrating the arrival of Summer, or farewelling the season, kids are going to have plenty to write about when it comes to the topic.
This can be a very handy method to coax more writing out of our students – perhaps even during their summer break.
I’ve created a range of writing prompts focused on subject of Summer, and coming at it from a variety of angles – I’m sure you’ll find some below are just perfect for your class to write about.
How should these prompts be used?
On such a bright and breezy topic as Summer, these prompts can be used in a number of ways.
Try assigning out one or two prompts to the entire class, and let them come at the topic from two very different angles. You’ll be amazed at the variety of writing that happens as a result too.
If you are still in school when using these, you can also try assigning a prompt to small groups, as it’s well suited to group discussion and debate.
You might even provide a list of prompts, and promote a daily writing challenge – with a prize involved you’ll surely get some great engagement!
Your Summer Writing Prompts:
- What is your best summer memory? What makes it so good?
- What do you miss most about summer when it’s gone? Why?
- How do you try and get the most out of your summer holidays?
- What was something new and exciting that you did last summer? What made it feel that way?
- What would be your ultimate summer holiday with your family? Why?
- What food and drink makes you think of summer? Why is that?
- Do you prefer video games or outdoor games in summer? Why?
- Have you ever lived somewhere that is cold all year round? Describe, or imagine what it must be like.
- Does summer make you think of spending time with friends or with family? Why is that?
- Is summer the best season in your opinion? Why or why not?
- Would you prefer a long hot summer with no AC, or a short warm summer with working AC? Why?
- What is a summer tradition that you have in your family? What do you like about it?
- What is one thing you wish you could change about summer? Why?
- Do your pets enjoy summer? Why or why not?
- Can you imagine living in a country that is hotter all year round than your hottest summer? What would it be like?
- If you were going to open a shop in summer, what would it sell? How would you get more customers?
- What do you enjoy doing most outdoors in summer? What makes it so good?
- Would you prefer to live in a region that has summer weather all year long, or one that has hot and cold seasons? Why?
- What do you think summer in 30 years will be like? Why?
I really hope you and your class enjoy plenty of writing as a result of these prompts, and would love to hear how you’ve used them.
As usual if you have any suggestions on other resources and free printables you’d like us to create for you to use, just let us know!
Stay tuned for more resources, released every week!
Bookmark and Pin so you don’t miss out 🙂
Thanks and see you soon,
– Matt & Hayley