The mystery of the Pyramids, the Sphinx, and the rest of the rich culture of ancient Egypt can inspire all sorts of creative and reflective writing…
We’ve written a whole range of prompts to take you in many different writing directions.
Don’t forget to bookmark and pin – and share them with others you think will find them helpful!
Thanks! Let’s get started 🙂
How to use the prompts:
These can be used in all sorts of different ways – with creative writing there are no rules!
Why not try writing about one per day for a week. Really delve into a topic, from a multitude of angles.
Or, pick one prompt and dig in to that as much as you can in 30 minutes.
Select a random number between 1 and 10, and there’s your writing inspiration for today. Done.
The Ancient Egypt Writing Prompts:
- What were the pyramids built for? Were they functional buildings? Epic monuments?
- Imagine you were one of the people building a single pyramid for years. Write about your life and experiences.
- Many pyramids have been discovered to have elaborate dangerous traps in them. Why would these have been created?
- The success of the ancient Egyptian civilization was aided by their adapting of farming to suit the Nile river valley. Explore why this could have been.
- Why do you think ancient Egypt has inspired writers for thousands of years?
- Early humans are believed to have started living in the Nile valley 120,000 years ago. As North Africa became hotter, that forced the population to gather along the Nile river. Write about what that must have been like.
- Hieroglyphs were the one of the earliest writing systems, created with pictures and symbols. Imagine trying to write a story using only lines of carved pictures, and describe this experience.
- Many preserved mummies have been found to be overweight. What do you think this tells us about their eating habits?
- Imagine you are an archaeologist hunting for artifacts in an ancient pyramid. You make a discovery…
- Ancient Egyptians were advanced shipbuilders, and had mastered making ships out of wooden planks around 5000 years ago. Imagine you are finishing building a boat, and setting sail down the Nile on an adventure.
Needing some more writing or picture prompts?
Well look no further! We’ve got plenty of both of those things, and loads of other free resources and tools. Take a moment to look around using the menu up top.
If there are other types of prompts you’re really wanting to see, let us know here!
Don’t forget to bookmark and Pin, and if you can share it with others who will find it helpful, that would be amazing.
Thank you to those of you sharing our site with others, it means the world 🙂
Matt & Hayley