We raced down the hill on our bikes, going faster with each passing second. The wind whipped through my hair, and even though I knew I should be afraid, I felt like I was flying.
When you write a story, don’t just show tell your reader—show them.
You can take a story about a bike ride and turn it into an adventure by adding creative descriptors and imagery. In fact, you can turn just about any event into something exciting like this.
Whether you love writing and want to keep your storytelling skills fresh over the summer or improve your writing abilities, keep reading!
Below, you’ll find a list of writing prompts and few clever ways to use them.
How to Use This Writing Guide
The cool thing about this guide is that there is no right or wrong way to use it—as long as you’re writing, that’s all that matters.
But if you’re unsure of just how to get started, here is a list of creative ways that you can use this guide:
- Pick a random number each day, and write using that prompt.
- Create a writing challenge, and see how many prompts you can use in one week.
- Choose a different style of writing for each day of the week (Example: Mondays are for fiction, Tuesdays are for poetry, etc).
The most important part is to remember that this is for fun!
If you find yourself stuck on a prompt, skip it and try one that interests you. This guide is yours to change and explore in whatever way feels right for you.
Writing Prompts to Get You Started
- What is your favorite smell? Tell a story about a memory connected to it.
- Write a short story or poem using the following words: warm, grass, sweet, tree, wonder
- Write a letter to yourself ten years from now.
- Who is your hero?
- Write about a time when you felt afraid.
- If you could design your dream house, what would it look like? What are the different rooms you’d like to have?
- Would you rather be a bird or a fish? Why?
- Describe your favorite place.
- What does it mean to be a good friend?
- Write a story from the point of view of your pet.
- If you could invent something to make your life easier, what would it be?
- Write a review for the last book that your read.
- What is your favorite movie? Why?
- If you were suddenly teleported into the Minecraft world, what is the first thing you would do?
- What are some ways that you can help the environment?
- Describe your ideal ice cream sundae.
- Free-write for ten minutes. Don’t stop until your time is up, just keep going with an idea and see where it takes you.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Why?
- Write about a time when you were excited.
- If you could create a cartoon character, what would they look like? What kind of world would they live in?
- What does “kindness” mean to you?
- Write a short story or poem using the following words: water, climb, thrill, friend
- What was the last dream you remember?
- Write a poem where the first letter of each line spells out a secret message.
- Describe your favorite color, using all of your senses.
- Write a story from the point of view of a giraffe.
- Write a letter thanking someone who helped you recently.
- What inspires you to write?
- Would you rather be a mind-reader or be invisible?
- Rewrite the ending of your favorite book.
- Pick an inspirational woman in history and write about her.
- How can you conquer your fears?
- What does it mean to be part of a community?
- What is your favorite way to relax?
- If you could play any instrument, what would it be?
- Write a story about a storm.
- If you could live in the world of any Disney movie, which would you choose? Why?
- When do you feel most loved?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- Write about a time when you were proud of yourself.
- Describe what you would do if you were famous for one day.
- You come to a door in an empty hallway. Do you open it? What do you find?
- Do you think homework should be banned? Explain why you agree or disagree.
- If I found buried treasure, I hope I would find…
- Write a story about something ordinary (like sharpening a pencil or tying your shoes), but turn it into an epic adventure.
Want to Keep Writing?
If you’re looking for new and creative ways to make writing fun, we have many free resources on our site!
From students to parents and teachers, there’s something for everyone!
And if you have any wonderful, wacky, or just plain awesome ideas, click here to get in touch with us. We’d love to hear from you!