Ice cream is the best dessert.
It comes in more flavors than you can count and goes well with many different toppings.
Many people believe that cake is the best dessert because it is sweet and covered in frosting. However, it is not as versatile as ice cream.
Being able to form a claim and support it is an important step in becoming a skilled writer. In this guide, you will find prompts that will help you improve this skill and encourage you to explore opinions that might never have occurred to you.
How to Use This Guide
As long as you are using the opinion writing skills that you’ve learned in class, this guide is yours to use however you’d like. But if you’re feeling a little stuck and need some inspiration, here are some ways you could use these prompts:
- Pick a random number every day.
- Scan the list and pick a topic that interests you.
- Pick a topic based on what you’ve eaten, read, or watched recently.
Pick a Prompt and Go For It!
- Should all schools require uniforms? Why or why not?
- Why do you think your best friend the best friend?
- Which is better: spring break or winter break?
- In your opinion, why is your favorite food the best food?
- Do you think cafeteria food should be more nutritious?
- What is the most important thing in your pencil box? Why?
- In your opinion, should school days start later?
- At what age do you think kids should have cell phones?
- Which holiday is the best, and why?
- Who is the better hero: Percy Jackson or Harry Potter? Why?
- Do you think students should be allowed to pick their teachers? Why or why not?
- Which is better: skiing or snowboarding? Why?
- Which Marvel character do you think is the most powerful?
- What is one book you think every 4th grader should read?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs? Why?
- Should students be allowed to pick their own seats in class?
- Would you rather watch a movie at home or in the theater? Why?
- Would you rather live in the city or the country?
- Do you think it is more important to be a good listener or a good speaker?
- Should homework be banned? Why or why not?
- Should kids be allowed to choose their bedtime?
- Which is better: the park or the beach?
- Should you be allowed to eat fast food every day?
- Do you think kids should get an allowance?
- If the world was stuck in one season, which would you choose and why?
- Write a letter to your teacher convincing them to get a class pet.
- What kind of music do you think is best?
- Who is the best Disney princess, and why?
- In your opinion, what is the best dessert?
- Which sport do you think is the best?
- Should students be allowed to grade their teachers?
- Should competitive video gaming be considered a sport? Why or why not?
- Insects: Creepy-crawly, or fascinating?
- Do you think parents should make kids do chores?
- Write a persuasive letter to your teacher, convincing them to take you on a special field trip of your choice.
- If you could make one rule for your classroom, what would it be and why?
- Why do you think it is important to be kind?
- Which sports team is the best and why?
- Do you think animals are smarter than humans? Why or why not?
- Which national monument would make the best field trip and why?
- If you were stranded on an island and only had three items with you, what would they be and why?
- If you could be a teacher, a firefighter, or a postal worker, which would you be and why?
- Describe what you like best about being in 4th grade.
- Do you think we are doing enough to help the environment? Why or why not?
Looking For More Ideas?
If you’re looking for some more amazing writing prompts, check out our website.
We’ve got lists for every type of writer, as well as resources for teachers and parents to help guide young writers along the way.
If you’ve got an idea that you’d love to see us share, reach out and let us know. We’d love to hear from you!