Holidays are meant to be fun, festive, and cheerful. They are a time to enjoy family and friends and to remember the things we all hold dear.
This list of writing prompts reflects that cheerful holiday spirit, whatever holiday you celebrate.
Holidays are supposed to be fun, so this list of creative inspiration is as well!
How to Use Prompts
These are great prompts for random assignments. Whether you use random numbers to assign the prompts or pull names out of a hat, all of these prompts are fun and should be easy for any student to write about.
- Write about any holiday tradition you do not understand much about and explain where it came from.
- Do you ever go caroling during the holidays? What makes this a special activity?
- Describe how celebrating a different holiday can be both similar and different from your own.
- Create a snowman and give him a name. Then write a story about his snowy adventures.
- Write a story about what it might be like to live in a snow globe.
- Why do you like to decorate for the holidays?
- Describe the best holiday party you have ever been to.
- Write a story that starts with, “The lost reindeer was…”
- Do you think that Thanksgiving gets neglected? Why or why not?
- Write an alternate holiday origin story.
- Why do you think Santa Claus got his job originally?
- What do you think elves do when it’s not Christmas anymore?
- What holiday tradition your family doesn’t celebrate seems interesting to you and why?
- Do you believe that Holidays have a special kind of magic?
- Who is your favorite person to see very holiday?
- What is something that only happens in the holidays that yo wish would happen all year long?
- Write a story about someone experiencing a holiday for the first time.
- Create a story about and describe a place where it is always Christmas.
- Write a story about a winter holiday that takes over another holiday when the weather is warmer.
- Can you describe your favorite holiday food and then tell why its your favorite?
- Describe something special you do for your pets every holiday.
- Do you decorate for the holidays? Explain your favorite part.
- Describe what makes the holidays special to you.
- Is there something you want for Christmas (or Hannukah)? Describe it and why you want it.
- Write a retelling of Frosty the Snowman with your own special twist.
- Are there any games that you and your family only play on holidays? Explain them.
- Write a story about a penguin named Percy and his holiday celebration.
- Describe a holiday tradition you celebrate now that your parents also celebrated when they were young.
- Describe what you think the perfect holiday celebration is like.
- Is there a holiday tradition you wish you didn’t do? Why?
- Can you explain why holidays are special and how they make you feel?
- Do you have a favorite dessert that only comes for the holidays?
- Describe what a holiday celebration would be like if there were no electricity.
- Write a story about how waking up on a holiday feels and describe what you do first.
- Tell a story about the biggest holiday disaster that you have ever experienced.
- What would happen if your mom was sick on a holiday and couldn’t do everything she normally does? Describe what would happen.
- If you could have a holiday superpower, what would it be and why?
- How do you help others during the holidays? Why is that important?
- How do you celebrate holidays with your friends?
- What would it be like if everyone had a sleigh to drive instead of cars?
- Would you rather be a snowman or a reindeer? Why?
- Why does it feel like ice cream is better when it is on top of pie?
- Can you describe how the holidays smell?
- Do you like to dress up for the holidays? Why or why not?
- Write a story about what you think your parents did to celebrate the holidays when they were your age.
- If you could have one wish granted for the holidays, what would it be and why?
- Describe the best thing about snow.
- What is the one thing you want most this year for the holidays? Why is that what you want?
- Who do you have to see every year on the holidays that you wish you didn’t? Why?
- Describe something nice that you have done for a sibling or that a sibling has done for you on the holidays.
- Is there anything that you would rather avoid doing during the holidays? Describe how you could make that something fun instead.
- What would you do if you knew someone would be alone this holiday? Why?
- Can you explain your least favorite holiday memory? Why was it your least favorite? What could have been done to make it better?
- Don’t worry, no one forgot Thanksgiving. What is the best Thanksgiving food that you have every year? What makes it so good?
- What would it be called if you could create a new winter holiday? What type of things would you celebrate and how?
Looking for More?
Holidays are great, but there are plenty of other things to write about. We have great resources for you, and if you like them, let others know too! Share with your family, friends, and coworkers, and let them know what they can find here.
Also, if you have any questions, comments or think we have missed something important, please don’t hesitate to let us know!