Saturdays are a day when anything can happen. A day for sports, adventure, or even a quiet, relaxing day.
Saturdays are full of possibilities and so are these writing prompts that focus on a day filled with potential.
Hopefully, this day of the week can provide plenty of inspiration for writers, and give something to look forward to on a slow weekday afternoon. Our hope is that Saturday is also a day that gives everyone something to write about.
How to Use These Prompts
These prompts can be randomly distributed or assigned in pairs to have students compare the different ways they wrote about the same prompts.
These could be assigned by picking numbers or even giving everyone the same prompt and seeing what different ideas everyone comes up with, given the same starting point.
- Why is Saturday the best day of the week?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a Saturday? Why is that?
- Write a story about the perfect Saturday and what is involved in it.
- Can you describe the best Saturday you can remember ever having?
- Why do you think every person seems to look forward to a Saturday?
- Describe a world where everything is Saturday. What would that be like and why or why is it not a good idea?
- What does a normal Saturday look like in your week? Is there something else that you would rather be doing?
- If you could switch places with one person for one Saturday, who would it be and what would you do on that Saturday?
- Do you think a Saturday is a day to be productive or a day to be lazy? Why?
- What would you do if Saturday just stopped happening?
- Is there anything that you can’t stand on a Saturday?
- Write a story about a normal Saturday afternoon turning into something extraordinary.
- Do you still watch Saturday morning cartoons? What is the best part about relaxing and not doing much of anything on a Saturday?
- Write a story about a character who has the worst Saturday ever.
- What is something that could totally ruin a great Saturday afternoon? How do you prevent that from happening?
- Write a story about a character named Saturday.
- Can you describe the most unexpected Saturday? Whether truth or fiction, make sure to include lots of details.
- What makes a rainy Saturday the best or worst kind of day and why?
- Is there something that you love that only happens on Saturdays?
- Write a story about a Saturday that starts one and ends up a completely different way.
- Describe a Saturday spent doing anything at all with your best friend. How do people make things even more special?
- Write a story about a world where every day is Saturday. Is this a place you want to be? Why or why not?
- Write an Acrostic poem using the word Saturday.
- Write a story about a Saturday where you are lost in thought. Describe where and how that determines your journey through the day.
- If there were no more Saturdays, what do you think would happen? How would this affect you and the people around you as well?
- What is one thing that will ruin anyone’s Saturday incredibly quickly? Why do you think that is? Can you pick something that would affect everyone equally?
- Why would anyone not like a Saturday? Convince someone that Saturday is the best day of the week using examples and logic to show the other person you have the right idea.
- Can there ever be such a thing as a Saturday that is too long or too boring? What is the benefit of these things and of sometimes being bored?
- Can you describe the best thing that you have ever learned on a Saturday that you couldn’t have learned on any other day of the week?
- Why should Saturdays be a freebie day for everyone?
- Who would you spend a perfect Saturday with? Why that person?
If You’re Looking For More…
Our site is filled with resources that are more than just writing prompts. Take some time to have a browser around and check out all the other things we have to offer.
If you think we’re missing something, or if you want to share your thoughts, we definitely want to hear from you, so please drop us a line!