Students tend to come into the classroom with a wide range of attitudes.
Some have smiles on their faces, eager to learn and see their friends. Others look out the window, wishing that the summer would have never come to an end.
Either way, it’s time to focus, and writing prompts are a great way to do that.
How to Use These Prompts
There are a few different ways to use these prompts, depending on how you want to use time in the classroom.
Either, you can use a day to teach a unit on the month of September, or you can go back to these questions in smaller doses, either once a week or once a day.
From there, you can have students either write their answers by themselves, or write them as a group. The benefit here of group working being that it will help open them to new thoughts and opinions on the topics at hand.
30 Writing Prompts About September
- The name September comes from the Latin word ‘septum,’ which referenced it being the seventh month. Today, September is the ninth month. Do you know when and why this changed? Why wouldn’t the name change too?
- Do you know any songs, movies, books, or TV shows that reference or use the month of September? If so, what are they, and what is the significance of September in them?
- What is the significance of September 11th in United States history?
- Do you know how the events of 9/11/2001 have impacted our society today and for the years following that day?
- How do you think we should show respect to the victims of 9/11? Should this be seen as a day of mourning?
- Sapphire is September’s birthstone. What do you know about Sapphire, and do you like it? Why or why not?
- The month of September has three flowers associated with it. Do you know what they are? Why might one month have three flowers assigned to it?
- What makes the month of September special from other months?
- How does the weather change in the month of September?
- Do you like Summer or Fall weather better? Why?
- What do we celebrate on Labor Day, and why is this an important holiday?
- Thinking about Labor Day, what would you like to do when you grow up? Why?
- How do you think we should celebrate Labor Day?
- National Grandparent’s Day is celebrated in September. How have your grandparents affected your life? How should you let them know you care about them?
- September 17th is the anniversary of the signing of the United States Constitution. What is this document, and why is it still important today?
- How should you approach the new school year in September? Why?
- What is the hardest part of starting a new school year? What’s the best part? Why?
- What are your goals for the new school year? How will you accomplish them?
- What is your favorite subject in school? Why?
- Should school start in August or September every year? Why?
- What are some foods that your family eats during September that they don’t during other times of year? Why do you think this is?
- September 26th is Johnny Appleseed Day. Who was Johnny Appleseed, and how did he earn his own day?
- September is National Apple Month. What is your favorite type of apple? How many uses for apples are there?
- Rosh Hashanah is a major Jewish holiday that occurs in September. Do you know why this is special? If now, how could you find out?
- Why do you think leaves start to change color during the Fall?
- How does your family like to spend weekends during the Fall? What is your favorite part?
- The United States Treasury Department was established in September. Do you know what they’re in charge of? If so, what do they do?
- The American Revolution ended on September 3, 1783. How is this significant to us today?
- What sports do you like to play in September? Why?
- September 30th is International Peace Day. What would world peace look like?
Looking other writing resources?
For more resources and information for teachers, please look through the rest of this website, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and coworkers too! 😉
If there is anything missing that you would like to see added to this website, please reach out and share that information with us!