Dogs are man’s best friend – and they’re what almost every child wants in their life, at least at some stage of their childhood.
But, how much do most students actually know about dogs, or think about them?
Oftentimes, not much more than that they’re friendly and fun. However, these are animals that will exist in everyone’s life, making them important to understand. As as luck would have it, this makes them a great topic to write about!
How to Use These Prompts
These prompts are designed to make students think about dogs in ways that they wouldn’t normally.
It’s can be best to use them in small portions, over an extended period of time. This will help to make them have a stronger impact.
It’s also helpful to have a group discussion after students write out their answers, so they can hear and understand other perspectives.
The Prompts On Dogs
- Are you a dog or a cat person? Why?
- Do you have a pet dog? What are they like?
- What is your favorite breed of dog? Why?
- Why is it important to adopt a rescue dog, if possible?
- Why do you think dogs are considered man’s best friend?
- Do you think dogs have thoughts and emotions? Why or why not?
- If you could be a dog for a day, what would you do? Why?
- Why do you think stories about dogs are usually sad stories?
- What are some books and movies that you know, which include dogs? Did you like these stories?
- Some dogs are bred for specific tasks, such as sledding, hunting, and herding. Why is it important to understand how this history of breeding affects their personality today?
- What do you think most dogs think about throughout the course of a day?
- Do you think dogs like being a part of something like dog shows? Why or why not?
- Depending on where you live, dog racing may have been outlawed, due to cruelty. Why would dogs for racing be treated poorly?
- What is the best way to train a dog? Why is it important to train a dog?
- Do you celebrate your dog’s birthday? Why or why not?
- Why do many people consider their pet dog to be a part of their family?
- Dogs are often used for people with disabilities, such as having difficulties seeing. Why do you think dogs are such a good animal for this usage?
- What are the benefits for police and military to use dogs?
- If you were to be lost in the woods with one breed of dog, which would you want to be with? Why?
- Why do people think of dogs as being different from foxes, wolves, hyenas, or coyotes?
- Would you ever consider adopting a dog that isn’t a puppy when you adopted it? Why or why not?
- What are some of the benefits of growing up with a pet dog?
- If you were able to create your own dog from scratch, what would it look like, and what would you call it?
- Some different breeds of dogs, like Irish Wolfhounds and Neapolitans, are bred to fight wolves and lions. How do you think dogs can be bread to fight animals like this? Why do dogs like Irish Wolfhounds still make great pets?
- Why do you think that dogs eat everything that they can find? How does this change how you keep them as a pet?
- If you could have a conversation with your pet, what would that conversation be? Why?
- If you were going to be a dog and have an owner, who would you want as an owner? What type of person would they be?
- Have you ever lost a pet? If so, how did it make you feel?
- Why do you think dogs chase things like cars and squirrels? What would they do if they caught one?
- Do you notice different personalities in dogs? What does this mean?
- Do you think dogs should be allowed more places than they are now? Why or why not?
- Many people are scared of dogs. Are you one of them? Why do you think so many people are scared of dogs?
- Why is it important to take your dog to the veterinarian?
- What can you do to take care of your dog better at home?
Looking for more writing inspiration?
If you need more information or resources for teachers, feel free to look through the rest of this website, and share it with any friends or colleagues who may be interested.
As you’re interested in dog prompts, perhaps you’d like to try our zoo prompts, or would like to write about animals of all different sorts!
Is there something not here that you’d like to see? Please tell us!