Animals bring us humans much joy, and we can learn so much from them. We love to watch nature programs that show all kinds of animals of all shapes and sizes and colors living in their natural habitat. Whether you prefer cuddly pets at home or wild animals in nature, we all have a soft spot for animals. So let’s write about them!
How to use these prompts:
Writing prompts are great because there is no right or wrong way to use them. All you have to do is pick one and let the writing flow!
You can pick a prompt at random and set a timer to write, or pick your favorite and write as much as you can.
There are no limits to your own imagination! Let your animal instincts take over and use those opposable thumbs to get your ideas on paper.
- Which animal would you most like to be?
- If you were an animal, would you rather be taken care of in a zoo or fend for yourself in the wild? Why?
- Would you rather be a turtle or a fish? Why?
- Which animal would you least like to be and why?
- Write a story about an unlikely animal duo, like an elephant and a bird or a cat and mouse.
- Which animals would you not want as a pet and why?
- Would you rather have a chicken or a penguin for a pet? Why?
- What is your favorite kind of bird? Why?
- If you had to be a farm animal, which one would you be and why?
- If dogs could talk, what would you ask them?
- What is your favorite kind of mammal? Why?
- Write about visiting the zoo when it is closed. What animals do you see, and what would you do?
- Pretend you wake up one morning and every animal is wearing clothes. Write about what you experience.
- Would you rather be an animal with wings or fins? Why?
- What do animals eat? Do they all eat the same things?
- Which animals are predators and which are prey in the wild?
- What is your favorite kind of fish? Why?
- How many animals do you think there are in the world? Write a story about all of them going to the same place for a meeting, like in the Lion King.
- Do you think insects count as animals? Why or why not?
- Would you rather be a dolphin or a monkey? Why?
- If pigs could talk, what do you think they would say?
- Would you rather be a horse or a cow? Why? What would you do?
- If you had to be a frog for a day, what would you do? Where would you hop?
- Write a story where you invent a device that makes it possible to talk to animals.
- Do you think animals can talk to each other? Why or why not?
- Would you rather be an animal than a human? Why?
- What kinds of animals have you encountered in your life? (At the zoo, in the wild, etc.)
- Do you prefer dogs or cats? Or another animal? Why?
- Where do you think the most animals live in the world?
- Which animal do you think is the nicest? Why?
- What is your favorite kind of reptile? Why?
- Which animal do you think is the meanest and why?
Looking for more?
We aim to provide a variety of prompts for our writers and readers of all ages! You should make sure to check out our prompts about birds, and the zoo! Or if you’re in the mood for some introspective writing inspiration, why not try writing about being brave, or about your fears!
If you have any ideas for us, or would like to make a comment or suggestion, please reach out. 🙂
We love to hear from our readers and provide the best resources possible.
Thanks – see you again soon!