The warm summer month of July is home to many holidays, vacations, and warm weather. Some think of celebrations, water sports, and family barbecues when they think of the seventh month of the year. July means something different to everyone, which is what makes writing these prompts so challenging and fun!
How to use these:
Use these writing prompts to celebrate each day of the month of July.
You can choose a prompt at random or go down the list and do one prompt for each corresponding day.
There is no wrong way to utilize these writing prompts, just set your timer, pick a prompt, and get writing!
- What is your favorite part about the month of July?
- What activities can you do in the month of July that you can’t do in, say, the month of November?
- Why do you think July is always the seventh month of the year?
- Where do you think the name “July” came from?
- Do you celebrate the 4th of July where you are from? What do you do to celebrate?
- If the month of July was a human being, what would they be like?
- What are your favorite accessories to wear during the month of July? (example: sunglasses, umbrella, bathing suits, etc.)
- If the month of July was a sound, what would it be and why?
- What is your favorite memory from the month of July?
- If the month of July was an animal, what would it be? Why?
- Why do you think the month of July has 31 days?
- Most students are on summer vacation during the month of July. What is your favorite part of summer vacation?
- What is the weather like during the month of July where you live?
- Do you enjoy watching firework shows? Why or why not?
- If the month of July was a smell, what would it be and why?
- What other holidays are in July besides Independence Day? If you can’t think of one, create your own and describe it.
- What foods are usually served at a 4th of July barbeque? What is your favorite and why?
- Write about a day when you do all of your favorite outdoor summer activities.
- Where do you think the hottest place in the world in July is? Why?
- Pretend you are throwing a Red, White, and Blue party. Who would you invite and what you would do at the party?
- Write about a classmate or friend named July. What are they like?
- July 17th is World Emoji Day. What is your favorite emoji, and why?
- Write about what you think you will be doing next July.
- July’s birthstone is the ruby. Do you think the stone fits with the month? Why or why not?
- The first ever phone call took place in July in the late 1800s. Write about the conversation that you think happened then.
- July’s two zodiac signs are the crab for cancer and the lion for Leo. Would you rather be a crab or a lion? Why?
- July is also National Ice Cream Month. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream and why?
- Write a story about the hottest day of the year that takes place in July.
- Before the month of July was renamed, it was called Quintillis. Which do you prefer, and why?
- What changes do you see happening in the month of July? (example: weather getting hotter, more plants growing, etc.)
- What is a downside about July? (example: hot weather, crowded parks, etc.)
Looking for more?
I really hope you’ve found these useful! 🙂 In case you weren’t already aware, we’ve got thousands more original free resources for you to use here.
We provide writing prompts and resources on a variety of subjects for readers of all ages.
If you have any suggestions or comments for us, please get in touch with us, we would love to hear from you!