Does the future and wondering what may come your way cross your mind often?
You’re not alone.
These prompts speak to the hypothetical and potentialities that the future holds for everyone. Some about plans, some about what-ifs or hypothetical situations, these prompts should help broaden horizons and lay the scene for each student’s potential.
So get creative and dream about your future now.
How to Use
Perhaps let the student pull numbers out of a jar, then give them the prompt that comes next instead.
Or try out some other kind of play on the idea of what comes next. For example, they may be picking the person whose last name is alphabetically following theirs.
You decide how to make it fun!
Prompts from the Future
- If you could travel to the future and ask one question, what would that be?
- What do you have planned for your future?
- What big dreams and overall future goals do you have for yourself, and describe why?
- Do you think that in the future, time travel is possible?
- Describe what you think your future self will be like.
- Describe a time that you predicted the future.
- Describe your thoughts on time travel and its relevance to us now.
- What would you do if you had the chance to see the future?
- Does the future scare you? Why or why not?
- Do you know of anyone scared of the future? Can you discuss why?
- Write a story about traveling to the future and what you might learn.
- How do you think the world will differ thirty years from now?
- Would you instead travel to the future or to the past? Why?
- What do you see yourself doing in ten years?
- What do you want to be your future occupation? Why is that what you chose?
- How are you planning for the future and why?
- Write a story about an animal who is so terrified of the future that they forget to t live in the present.
- Do you plan to have a family in the future? What do you imagine your family will be like?
- Write a story that begins with: “I know that the future is going to…”
- Do you think that fortune-tellers can really see the future? Write a story about how a fortune-teller made a wrong prediction and what happened next.
- Write a letter to your future self and describe who you think you will be.
- Do you believe that having a vision for your future will help you to achieve your goals? Why or why not?
- Have you ever experienced the feeling if deja vu? Describe the experience.
- Do you believe your parents when they tell you things about the future? Why or why not?
- Create a story about a future where people all get along.
- Write a story that begins with: “I didn’t know that the future would be like this. I could never have predicted that…”
- Write a story about a giraffe and what his future profession might be with such a long neck.
- Write a story about a funny animal who can predict the future, but only partly.
- What would you do if you could see the future? What would you want to know?
- Do you think that every decision we make affects the future somehow? Why or why not?
- How do you believe that preparing now will help you later in life? Why?
- Do you believe that the climate will change drastically in the future? Why or why not?
- How do you want to be the change in the future?
- Do you worry about the future? Why or why not?
- Write a story about always knowing what is coming next.
- Create a character who can see the future but doesn’t have any idea what any of it means.
- Describe your favorite book about the future.
- Describe a television show you like, but how it would be in the future.
- Would you want a robot housekeeper in the future?
- How would the future be easier than the present?
- What are you looking forward to most about the future? Why?
More to Come
If these future prompts left you looking forward to the next creative assignment, please come and visit our website for the other prompts we have to inspire.
If we overlooked something or you have a resource we could use, please let us know so that our future looks more helpful for our readers.