March is National Women’s History Month—a time to celebrate women and their accomplishments (big and small) that have shaped the world we live in.
Use the prompts below to celebrate and commemorate the important women in your life, your classroom, and your textbooks!
Using This Guide
Just as there is no wrong way to fight for equality, there is also no wrong way to use this guide.
But if you need some help getting started, try one of these ideas:
- Add up the number of letters in the name of your favorite actress. Use that number to pick your prompt.
- Ask your teacher or librarian which prompt they think you’d be most interested in.
- Scroll through the list and pick the first prompt that stands out.
Let’s Get Writing!
- Why do we need an entire month dedicated to women’s history?
- Who is your favorite woman athlete? Why?
- Write a letter to the most influential woman in your life.
- If you could meet one influential woman from history, who would it be?
- Do you think our country will have a woman president in the next decade?
- Why do you think we haven’t had a woman president yet?
- What does it mean to be a feminist?
- Research one woman in STEM, and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- How can you be a better advocate for women’s rights?
- What’s the most important thing you’ve learned during Women’s History Month?
- Think of the women in your family. What are some qualities that you hope to learn from them?
- Do you think the media puts unfair expectations on women and girls?
- Write a poem about feminism using the following words: work, claim, yes, foot
- Think of three women today who you think will be influential in history. What will they accomplish?
- Who is your favorite actress? Why?
- Research one woman in art history, and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- Do you consider yourself a feminist? Why?
- Do you think that society puts too much pressure on gender roles?
- Write an acrostic poem using the word “WOMEN”.
- Do you think school dress codes wrongly target girls?
- Research one Nobel Prize-winning woman, and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- How can you show respect to the women in your life?
- Do you think sports should be segregated by gender? Why?
- Who is your favorite female book character? Why?
- Have you ever witnessed gender inequality or bias? How did it make you feel?
- Think of a friend who identifies as a girl. How can you help ensure that she is treated equally?
- What do you think the U.S. would be like if women still couldn’t vote?
- Research your favorite female author and write 3-5 paragraphs about her life.
- Do you think there are any real differences between men, women, and non-binary individuals?
- What are some stereotypes people have about women?
- Why do you think women get paid less than men? When do you think this will change?
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned from a woman?
- Research a woman in politics and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- Who is your favorite female singer or performer? Why?
- Pick an important woman in history and write an acrostic poem about her.
- Research a local woman-owned business. Write an advertisement or commercial for their business.
- Historically, women have always been paid less than men in the same job. Why do you think this is?
- Pick a woman from recent history (1950 – present), and write a journal entry from her point of view.
- Do you have a favorite female streamer? What is it about her content that you enjoy?
- Write a letter to your favorite woman teacher, thanking her for something she taught you.
- Why is feminism sometimes viewed as a negative thing?
- Research an LGBT+ feminist icon and write 3-5 paragraphs about their accomplishments.
- Write a story about a girl, using the following words: strong, lift, great, time
- Who is your favorite feminist icon? Why?
- Write about a time when you saw two women supporting each other.
- What achievement(s) made by feminists in history are you most grateful for? Why?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge that women and girls face today?
- Why do you think toys are still sold by gender in many places?
- Pick an indigenous woman in history, and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- Do you think athletes in women’s sports should be paid the same as athletes in men’s sports?
- Helen Keller is best known for being an author and advocate, despite being born deaf and blind. Research another disabled woman in history and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- What is your favorite story told by your mother or grandmother about their childhood?
- Why do you think society still separates boys and girls, despite years of feminism and the fight for equality?
- What do you think is the hardest thing about being a woman today?
- Pick a Black woman in history and write 3-5 paragraphs about her accomplishments.
- Should careers that hire mostly women hire more men?
- Should careers that hire mostly men hire more women?
- Locate your birthday on this list, and write about an event that took place on that day in history.
- Do you agree or disagree with this quote: “A lack of equality harms everyone”?
- Do you think adult feminists have an obligation to be good role models for young feminists? Why?
Looking For More?
If you’re looking for more fun and creative writing prompts, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve also got resources for teachers and guardians, librarians, and more.
If you’re looking for something specific and can’t find it, let us know! We’d love to hear from you.