Everyone knows that sixth graders are full of opinions, especially their teachers and parents.
These prompts are written as questions to let your students decide the answer and describe why they have a strong viewpoint. Channel that creativity and persuasion skill by having your sixth graders write to convince you why they have the correct opinion, and let the fun begin.
How to Use the Prompts
These prompts may be used by throwing them all into a jar and letting students pick one out and write about it, or maybe let them choose two and pick one they have stronger feelings about.
You also may think about letting the students pick whichever prompt they like the best, and then you can get them to be even more open with their opinions.
Here are the prompts:
- What is the best animal to have for a pet?
- Can being honest be a bad thing sometimes?
- Do you know that there are thousands of ice cream flavors? What is your favorite and convince us why it is the best?
- What is your favorite color, and why is it better than other colors?
- Explain why sunny weather is better than snow or vice versa.
- Discuss the current homework situation and how it could change for the better for everyone.
- What rules at school would you change and why.
- Describe when and why it is okay to tell a lie. Or if it is ever okay.
- They are banning sagging pants. Why or why not?
- Why should students be taught handwriting again?
- What is the most important subject to learn in school?
- Who is the best professional athlete?
- Who is the best president we have had?
- Describe the ways you think school lunch should be changed.
- Discuss your favorite book. Include the things that you feel make it the best book you’ve ever read and try to encourage someone else to pick it up and read it.
- If you were a fashion designer, would you want skinny models? Why or why not?
- What are the drawbacks of the celebrities we see everywhere?
- Who is your favorite actor or actress. <make an argument for why they deserve an Oscar.
- What should be done to prevent school violence?
- How often should you make a new friend and why?
- Do you believe in karma?
- Where is your favorite vacation place? Why is it the best?
- What is the meaning of freedom of speech?
- Why is having an opinion important?
- What is the weirdest thing you have ever written a story about in school?
- Do you like to dance in public? Why or why not?
- Should school have more art projects and less math?
- What do you want to do more of when you get older?
- What is the best extracurricular offered at your school? What makes it the best?
- What is the greatest sport?
- Do you think that pineapple on a pizza is delicious?
- What would you wear to school if you could wear absolutely anything and why?
- What is your favorite Disney movie ever? Explain why it is better than any other Disney movie.
- Do you believe in magic? Why?
- Choir or band? Who are the ultimate music nerds, and what makes them better at making music?
- What is the best part about winning at something?
- How would you prevent bullying in school?
- Why is it wrong to treat other people without kindness?
- Who is your hero? What makes them heroic? Why do they make you admire them?
- Why do you believe opinions are important for everyone?
- What do you like learning from someone else’s opinion on a subject?
- Do you believe that kids have it harder today or twenty-five years ago?
- What do you think is the most important meal of the day?
- Do you believe in ghosts? Have you seen one? What would happen if everyone saw ghosts?
- How would the world change if governments decided to stop going to war and decided to treat everyone well and be respectful?
- Is long hair or short hair better?
- Do you think we should still be allowed to keep animals at the zoo?
- How would you stop someone from making a bad decision? How do you decide if the decision is bad?
- Should everyone get a participation award? Why is it important to understand how to lose?
- Why should you always do your homework?
- It’s crucial to stop watching so much television and get outdoors. So what are the health benefits of being more active?
- Why should life be more like a Disney show? Should you learn helpful lessons in an easy-to-swallow package, or should you go through the hard work of figuring it out yourself?
- What is your favorite fast food place?
- Do you think every student should take art?
- Why knowing how to cook important for everyone?
- Do our pets dream as we do?
- Are video games and eSports real sports?
- Why is it essential to go to college after high school?
- Do you think everyone should be vegetarian?
- What would the climate look like if no one drove cars anymore?
- How is the environment important?
- Why do we need bees and other bugs?
- Do you think that unicorns and other mythical creatures might be real?
- Why do kids need cool shoes?
- Describe your favorite classroom activity.
- The most exciting thing about being a sixth-grader.
Looking for More?
If you liked these prompts and are in search of more great writing inspiration, remember to bookmark our website – and take a browse around!
We have plenty more prompts as well as other excellent resources for education.
If you have any thoughts on something you think we overlooked, or maybe have a resource we missed, please feel free to drop us a line anytime.