Whether they’re clanking giants, or little mechanical helpers, robots have been a part of our world for a long, long time, both in fiction and the real world.
More and more robots are being created to work alongside humans to automate things, which perhaps will allow us to do more varied and fulfilling things ourselves – time will tell.
So today we are going to tap into what we know about robots, and their changing place in our world, and see if we can’t inspire some writing along the way.
Let’s dive into it…
How to use these:
To use these prompts to inspire a writing session, you could print out a list, cut them into individual idea strips, and pick out a writing topic at random.
Or, try writing in depth on a single topic that speaks to you. Start writing and don’t stop until you have 3 pages written on the subject!
Alternatively you can use these to inspire an animated discussion amongst a class of students – everyone will have their own opinion to share.
As always we’re most interested in inspiring some great creative and thoughtful writing, however that takes place, so enjoy!
17 Writing Prompts about Robots:
- Name ten types of robots that are used in the world currently. How do they help us?
- If you could have any robot that currently exists, what one would you have, and what would you use it for?
- Some people are worried that as we get more robots, that they will take too many jobs from humans, while others think robots will free us up to do more meaningful work. What do you think and why?
- Already there are robots in the world which our parents couldn’t have imagined they’d ever see. What robots do you think you’ll see in your lifetime? Describe what they might be able to do.
- Imagine your job is to oversee a fleet of robots that do something useful. Describe what your robots do, how you control or instruct them, and what problems you run into.
- How have robots changed the world already in your opinion?
- Do you think we’ll see more and more robots moving and working among us in the near future? What do you think they’ll be doing?
- Would you want a robot dog? Why?
- There are now robot crop harvesters, robot vacuums, robot lawnmowers, robot factory workers, robot security guards and more – what do you think will be next? Why?
- How do you think pets will react to seeing more robots around? Why?
- If you could invent any robot, what would yours be designed to do?
- If one day you had a child of your own, would you feel comfortable leaving it with a robot nanny in the future? Why?
- Does the idea of widespread robot and AI in the future worry you? Why?
- Do you believe robots have been a positive or negative thing for humankind? Why?
- Do you think that robots should be designed to look like humans, or something completely different? Why?
- Robot drone deliveries of food and parcels are likely to become commonplace over the next few years. How do you think this will impact our lives?
- If a robot was to hurt a human, what sort of reaction do you think that would get? How should we ensure robots do not hurt humans?
Need more prompts?
Why not check out our random story starter tool as well 🙂 I know a lot of our community really get a lot out of these tools, and it’s always nice to hear how your class are enjoying them!
Don’t forget to bookmark our site – we add new resources for your all the time.
We really hope you found this useful – please take a second to share it with others!
Matt & Hayley